Sunday, September 11, 2011

Remembering 9/11

I watched the ceremonies for the September 11th attacks tenth anniversary.  We surfed between stations to get all the different ones for NYC, DC and Pennsylvania.  The one in NYC where victims' family members read the names of all the victims of the attacks was powerful.  I got very emotional this morning.  Probably also why I flipped to the other two periodically.

It brought back to the forefront of my mind what made the two towers so special and why their significance was greater than other targets they could have chosen.  There were people of all race, age, wealth, nationality, gender and sexuality taken that day.  Seeing their sons and daughters, husbands and wives, sisters and brothers, mothers and fathers, life partners and friends and even god parents and in-laws really made it sink in how diverse the group was.  It was a giant cross section of America and it's influences housed in one building.

I've visited NYC a few times since the attacks as well as Shanksville, PA.  I've never been to DC but it's top of my list for next adventures.  When I was in PA, they still had the temporary memorial in place.  The last time I was in New York, ground zero was still a giant construction hole.  It looks like they've done some incredible work to all three locations.

Looking at Facebook and Twitter today, it's clear this event still brings the country together.  So impressive and inspiring.

No comments:

Post a Comment