Thursday, August 18, 2011

When the Cat's Away, the Mice Will Play. Oh, and Do Housework

I took my family up to visit relatives last weekend.  I came back on Sunday by myself.  I'm going back for them on Saturday and going to spend a couple days there myself reconnecting with friends.  500 miles each way  is so worth the freedom though. 

I'm not saying I don't miss my kiddos and wife, but the reality is I haven't been alone for a week in almost a decade.  Yes I've gone out a couple times with friends but nothing extravagant, just some beers at the bar down the street.  It's been cool.

My original intent was to do a giant chunk of the ubiquitous honey do list.  Really all I've done is picked up the house and done all the laundry.  But still.  The first day that I ran 6 loads of laundry and folded it all I was like, "what the hell does my wife do all day?"  Feeling all proud of myself.  Then it occurred to me that I couldn't have done this much with the rugrats around either.  In fact, the living room that I'd also picked up would have been a disaster within minutes too.  Oh and the next day when I got the kitchen cleaned up? Yeah, then it occurred to me that the living room and kitchen are two areas I clean every day any way.  Hmmm.  Not feeling nearly as productive as I had.  Maybe I'll tackle the rest of the shelves I was supposed to hang in the bedroom a month ago.  Maybe I'll call my buddy for a beer. 

Yep, I'm lazy with or without the stress of children.  Though a queen size bed without four bodies is un-freaking-believably awesome.  Highly recommend it to all parents.  Separate bedroom for each of you to sneak to after the kids have joined you is definitely an investment worth considering!

No comments:

Post a Comment