Tuesday, August 23, 2011

I don't think I'm a Racist, I think I'm a Realist

Nivea apologizing for their recent ad featuring a black man cleaning up his appearance and "re-civilizing" himself sparked a Twitter convo with a guy that irritated me. (Link)


I said:

@ R U Kidding? Look beyond the skin color! Unkempt vs Clean. NOT Racist! RT @mashable Nivea Pulls "Re-civilized" Ad

@thespianJK Said:

@Dornage Nivea said nothing abt white guy being "re-civilized". They just told him to look like he gives a damn.

I said:
@thespianJK Oh, I see what u r saying. But still. The Look Like You Give A Damn is their new catch phrase. Way overthinking in my opinion.

@thespianJK said:

@Dornage "Sin City isn't an excuse to look like hell" - white Nivea ad. "Re-civilize yourself" - black Nivea ad. It's the "civilize" part.

I said:


@thespianJK So had it been a stoner white boy with dreads it would have been ok right? Gotta quit focusing on race at some point.

@thespianJK Said:


@Dornage No I don't. Not when it comes to things like this hinting at a stereotype of black men being savages and white men being polished.

@thespianJK Said:

@Dornage And the stoner with dreads would have been cause for question as that is associated with a black hairstyle.

@thespianJK Said:

@Dornage Nivea should be a little bit more sensitive to things like this.

I said:

 
@thespianJK I disagree. Respect is one thing. But fear of offending will only lead to people being fake all the time.

I said:
@thespianJK I disagree. Respect is one thing. But fear of offending will only lead to people being fake all the time.

Here's the deal: I don't believe in Gay Rights, Straight Rights, Black Rights, White Rights, Men's Rights nor Women's Rights.  Everyone is human.  You should respect them equally. Unless of course they're your Boss, Parent, President or Spouse...then you'll probably have to kiss a little ass.

No comments:

Post a Comment