Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Happy Birthday Dad

My Dad and his twin sister are 50 years old today! My parents are very young but still, they've always seemed so much older because, well, they're my parents.  That said, 50 isn't ridiculously far away nor is it old anymore.

For a point of reference, I'm 31, my wife is 33.  I remember thinking 16 was an eternity away.  Then 18 would never come.  It was about that time that everyone said after 18 time just flies by.  I didn't understand what they were talking about until recently.  21 was the next big date that ultimately came and went. 

By 25 I'd begun to notice that time truly is relative and if you're working a boring shift, time crawled.  But slam me and be surrounded by pure chaos and time is gone in the blink of an eye.  Introduce alcohol and a good time and snap, the next day is there with a quickness. 

It was about then that I left the restaurant industry and resigned myself to being a corporate pawn.  I doubt many people will feel this way, but since 25 the weekends sneak up on me with ninja stealth.  Then they are gone before I even realized they were here!

A wedding and two kids since and I'm still amazed how fast it's all flown by.  My dad is 50!  Albeit 40 is still a ways a way, but I'm closer to it than my kids are to my age. 

They say stop and smell the flowers.  I don't know how to ensure I don't let time just pass by.  I want to make certain my children don't hit a time warp, let alone I miss them in a time warp.  So when someone out there comes up with Hiro Nakamura's ability to freeze and move through time and space, please let me know.  I'll take that red pill.

1 comment:

  1. There's only so much you can do. Focus on the present, worry less about the future and the past.

    Call your dad, have an awkward few moments of conversation befroe he hands the phone over to your mom.

    ReplyDelete