Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Experiences

Yesterday was full of experiences that can never be repeated.  Today's weren't so bad either.  I headed to Houston so I could be in town for a  bunch of meetings today. 

Middle of Nowhere

I spontaneously decided to have a face to face meeting with my 1st cousin on my biological father's side of the family.  I've never met the man, but his sister and her daughter have become friends via Facebook.  My cousin works at a bar in Houston so I asked if she was working and to my benefit, she was.  I got to meet her on her turf, but where I wasn't in a high pressure situation.  (plus alcohol was involved, which always helps) Things went well.  I'll leave it at that because I might revisit this topic later.

Later that night, my buddy had an accoustic show that was truely a trip.  It was at a black club (yes, I'm talking skin color) in the hood in Houston.  I was the ONLY white person in the whole place.  Because he was the featured artist during their Poetry in the Hood, Tuesday night feature, I was in the spot light more so than probably would have been normal (being part of his "crew").  I haven't figured out the best way to describe this experience because there was so much going on that I may not do it justice. 

I was so far out of my element that it put me in National Geographic mode.  Everyone was cool and I never felt thereatened, but I was certainly the butt of every white joke of the eveing from the emcee and crowd.  I think I handled myself well.  One can only guess the perception though.  I'll try to follow up with this later this week. 

So fast forward to today.  We had a really cool, casual meeting as a team from across the state today.  We were all in town for a big "road show/town hall" meeting with all the big wigs (CEO, COO, VP, etc).  It was long and interesting.  The end went HORIBLE when a bunch of disgruntled pions got up to voice their opinion.  Probably not going to revisit that cluster again, so just trust me that when upper crusty execs and above minimum wage, one step away from unionizing lazy asses mix, it's never happiness for management in the room.

My boss planned to continue our meeting afterward, but the execs went over 2 hours longer than expected.  So instead he cut to the chase and delivered our 2010 bonuses.  This was the highlight of the day.  I was expecting a few hundred bucks because they've jipped us the past few years.  Ladies and gentlemen, I blew out my goals and THEY ACUTALLY PAID ME FOR IT!  I'm receiving over $10,000!!!!! WOOT WOOT!!!!!!!  Could not have come at a better time!  Happiness abounds.  I'll go a head and give myself a pat on the back for a good 2010.  Talk about swimming in joy right now.  This is what I signed up for and it's finally made itself know.  Gonna be a good March YO!

No comments:

Post a Comment