Wednesday, February 2, 2011

One Pill Makes You Gay, One Pill Makes You Shake

I don't care if that rodent sees his shadow.  His prediction is a scam.  "Six more weeks of winter or spring is just around the corner."  He's right either way!  This time last year I waited outside at four in the morning with 4* weather for Phil to predict the future.  I am happy I can say I did the Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania Ground Hog's Day trip.  I will never torture myself or my family that way again.  Cold will come with skis.

Moving on to more pressing issues. I read an article about a man suing Glaxo Smith Kline because his Parkinson's drug made him addicted to gay sex.  The drug is called Requip.  It's the same one those "Restless Leg Syndrome" commercials talk about.  The commercials even talk about the compulsive addictions that people experience as a side effect.  My assumption  is that I saw those commercials after this guys problem occurred. 

This guy worked for the French Ministry of Defense.  The experiences he had on the drug caused him to be demoted from his position.  He's suing GSK and his neurologist for $610K for failing to warn him of the dangers.

Supposedly he tried to commit suicide, became addicted to gambling and flashing himself on the internet.  He also became addicted to gay sex which later caused him to be raped.

So the link between gay sex and rape is a bit unclear to me, but I guess if you dive in to risky behavior (his compulsions, not the gay sex), you might put yourself in a situation that doesn't work out so hot.

What I want to know is how he's claiming the drug made him gay.  I'm fairly positive the drug made him lose inhibitions and would lead to compulsive behavior.  That accounts for the suicide and gambling and flashing.  But being gay is obviously something he was trying to hide or not acknowledge.  With lowered inhibitions, I guess it just stepped him right out of the closet. 

Granted this story wasn't on the front page of the New York Times or anything, but still.  Sensationalizing the lawsuit by claiming the drug made him gay was poor reporting at best.  Though, without it, I wouldn't have even paused while scanning my Fluent News feed.

2 comments:

  1. Ugh. This is what I get for keeping something in "draft" for a few days. You beat me to the punch. Look for something on this on our blog over the weekend. My take is similar, but I have some sympathy for the pharma co., here. If you ask for "mood altering," you get "mood altering." I don't really expect gambling addictions, cross-dressing, and professional demotions to be on a comprehensive list of side-effects. But now we know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. SG, this is definitely a story that deserves your blog's attention. Though I could have got your ugh even sooner had Blogger not messed up the posting. I look forward to reading your take on it.

    ReplyDelete