Thursday, February 17, 2011

Good Day Watson



 
Way to go Watson.


Just Sayin'.

I'm sad that I didn't get to watch this.  Back in the day (when I was a waiter and afternoons were spent sleeping, smoking, and watching TV) me and Jeopardy had a date every day at 4pm. Judge away, at least it wasn't Jerry Springer or Days of our Lives.

IBM's Watson has been talked about forever now.  I wasn't sure how he'd do considering the way the game show plays around with their "Answers" to get you to phrase your perfect question.  All the knowledge in the world can't help you figure out some of those puns within a question read by Alex in his best befitted accent.  

The local morning radio jocks were discussing how a.) Watson was fed the questions, not listening to them like Mr. Jennings was.  b.) He would wager the most insanely non-round figures.  c.) got a question/answer wrong that shouldn't have computed at all.  

Final Jeopardy Category is "U.S. Cities"

Answer:
"Its largest airport is named for a World War II hero, its second largest for a World War II battle."

Watson's Response:
"What is Toronto."

I'm not going to try to figure out the logic.  BUT, I have a little hand held device called 20 questions.  The concept is that you think of something and it asks 20 questions to guess it correctly.  It has a startling 95% accuracy rate.  (Mirror is the first think that comes to mind that I stumped it with) Basically it eliminates answers based on your responses to the questions.  So shouldn't a Canadian city be ruled out by default?  Again, just sayin'. 

I heard they were implementing a new computer monitoring program in the Space Station.  The first thing I though was, "Hello, Hal."  Someone create the Hollodeck for Christsake!  Quit chasing the robot villains of SciFi movies! Cyberdyne knew what it was doing and produced intelligent killing machines.  So what, now I'm going to be slaughtered by a retarded Terminator?  Mechanical cackling as it pokes my entrails and chases it's own shadow.  Probably karma really. 

Oh yeah, the answer...er question is "What is Chicago."  O'hare and Midway, ya know?

No comments:

Post a Comment