Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Day 24 - Make A Playlist To Someone And Explain Why You Chose All The Songs

Do you remember making mix tapes for people?  I made my share of Mix CDs in my late teens and early twenties.  Once Napster came along, the possibilities were endless!

I have not however, ever created one for my wife.  Not sure why.  Maybe because our musical tastes at the beginning of our relationship were such polar opposites.  I've dragged her a little my way and she's dragged me back her direction.  We're similar yet very different still.  So Baby, here it is!

I'm going to include the YouTube embedding so if one strikes your fancy you can go ahead and indulge!

These songs are less about the way I feel about you.  These are songs that make me think about you.  Ones I associate with you.  Many that I'd never know if not for you.  Even a couple that are associated with you simply because you hate them so much.  Love you for it too!

1.) Pet Shop Boys - "Where the Streets Have No Name (Can't Take My Eyes Off Of You)"
I debated which one to chose.  This is after all more than a slight obsession for you.  While Opportunities and Domino Dancing are my favorites, the Pet Shop Boys are wholly yours baby.  I even considered proposing at their concert.  Once there and I realized we were one of less than 4 straight couples, it was just the wrong venue.  Obviously you can read that as: I chickened out big time!  I was also soooo nervous that I would lose the ring I kept clutching my cargo pocket the whole night.  I'm sure the folks we were dancing by didn't notice, but at the time I just new they thought I was a complete freak.



2.) New Order - "Bizarre Love Triangle"
Oh, Look!  Another unhealthy obsession of yours!



3.) The Cure - "Friday I'm In Love"
Seriously, my mom was an 80s lady but this was not in her wheel house so I wasn't introduced to them as a child.  As an adult I never bothered a listen until you.  I have to say, melancholy maybe, but Robert Smith gets a horrid rap from people about being so depressing.  Just about every song I've ever heard from them is about love and tends to be rather cutesy upbeat.  Maybe it was just the eyeliner.  Oh yeah, YouTube won't let me embed the original video.  Very funny too, so that's a shame.  But here's a jarring introduction in what I'm guessing is German the language you love as they perform it live.



4.) Bryan Adams - "Cuts Like A Knife"
I knew Summer of 69 was his before I met you.  I have to admit though, I had no clue that I knew so many poptastic hits from this little Kanuk.  Oh and I guess YouTube has some beef with allowing original videos to be embedded.  So again, here's the live version.



5.) Tori Amos - "Raspberry Swirl"
She's a dirty little girl, so I guess I know why you like her.  I am still not a fan, so I just picked one I knew you liked.  I don't ever hear her outside of when you control the CD player.  It just didn't feel right to leave her off this list.  I have to tell you though, this one gave me a head ache just listening to it to make sure it was legit.



6.) Elton John - "Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters"
We share a love for this man.  So the possibilities were vast, but I know you really like this one.  Not sure why this video is set to images of Almost Famous...but we share that too, so just enjoy it.



 
7.) Robbie Williams - "Something Stupid"
Oh Robbie.  I'd heard his American radio hits, but when you let me listen to his album Swing While You're Winning, I came around.  Here's one from it, a Sinatra cover.  Oh and look it's got your girl singing Nancy's part.  FAR LESS creepy than the father daughter love ballad duet!



8.) Maroon 5 - "Harder to Breathe"
Our first concert together.  Well, not counting our first date at the MONSTERS OF ROCK festival!   Oh yeah, and we'll just ignore the latter events of that night that had you bailing me out of jail on your birthday! 



9.) Van Morrison - "Someone Like You"
Speaking of concerts.  I'm so sorry I had a severe DIVA moment and made you miss the Van Morrison Concert.  I'm pretty sure most people would have let my ass walk home instead of coming along.  Thanks for sticking by me.



10.) Rage Against the Machine - "Freak on a Leash"
I'm just kidding.  I won't post this video.  It's amazing how you can't name a single song by them yet if they are on for longer than 5 seconds you're asking me to flip the station.  At least you're consistent, I guess.  Astoundingly, works for Ke$ha, Beyonce, and Natasha Beddingfield too.  I'm willing to wager super fans couldn't nail it as quick as you.  Guess that makes them your Arch-Nemisis.

11.) David Bowie - "Magic Dance"
So how 'bout something that'll make you smile.  "You remind me of the babe. What Babe? The Babe with the power? What power? The power of voodoo? Who do? You do!"




12.) Reverend Horton Heat - "Eat Steak"
Thank you for introducing me to the Rev.  Before the only Rev I knew and loved was Al Green...still one of my faves, but this brought a whole new twist to my musical taste.  I'm a little better for it too.  Thank you.



13.) Killers - "Human"
Your modern musical obsession.  We saw them the first week we moved down to Austin.  I can't believe we haven't gone back.  Hell, we've seen far crappier bands more than once!  I'll get to work on it.  Promise.



14.) Iggy Pop - "Lust For Life""
Nah, I didn't chose the song we had our first dance to at our wedding.  Yes I remember...Etta James, "At Last."  This was our grand entrance song and I think it was far more fitting!  "I'm worth a million in prizes!"



15.) Prozzäk - "Shag Tag (You're It!)"
HOW DID I NOT KNOW THIS BAND IN HIGH SCHOOL???? Thank you again, this is one of my favorite albums of all time.  You did that! 




There it is.  I hope you enjoyed it.  Hope you smiled.  Now (sorry or maybe your welcome, your call folks, not directed at anyone other than my lovely wife) re-read the last title!

No comments:

Post a Comment