Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Day 17 - A Book You've Read That Changed Your Views On Something

Conversations with God by Neale Donald Walsch

I found this book during a time in my life (after the events of the "hero post" from the other day) when I was looking for answers.  I needed to hear that the questions I was asking weren't abnormal.  I needed to find a little guidance without being preached at nor judged.

The premise of the books is that the author had a conversation where God would write through him.  He'd ask questions over the course of a few years when he'd be inspired to work.  That inspiration was from God.  The answers that would follow were from God.  I'll give you a minute to say it..."nut job!"  I agree, somewhat.

Whatever...I'm not crazy enough to believe it, but I do think the things "God" told him or inspired his pen to write are witty and intelligent.  Regardless if he really believes God's divine inspiration flowed through his pen or if he believes that God put the intelligence in him to answer these questions, his perspective was very keen and exactly what I was needing. 

I really think the author was a genius.  His concept was personal and well thought out.  His writing style was succinct yet well articulated.  His points were debatable, but I have a feeling he'd win.

Basically, he inspired me to think on my own and not force my mind into a box labeled "Christian."  If you follow the link above, you'll find lots of rave reviews and a slew of folks crying "Blasphemy!"  One negative review made a very good point.

"the 'wisdom' is what I would expect an articulate, well-versed liberal arts professor to say. So much of it is what we want to hear, what we want to believe. I felt like Neale created a God that placates people, tells them what they want to hear, tells of the wisdom of this age."

I think they are right.  Maybe this was my version of {Stands Up On Desk} "Oh Captain, My Captain." Maybe he just mirrored my own desires turned questions.  Sometimes the very thing people need is an opposing or adjacent point of view.  Sometimes that point of view may be wrong, but as long as it's what you seek, it fits the bill.  I didn't suddenly start subscribing to a cult or anything absurd.  I had just found someone else who found it more than OK to question the structures we've built around ourselves and our spirituality.   

No comments:

Post a Comment