Monday, October 18, 2010

"I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me."

Originally, I wrote about how these two temps I have running one of my stores are walking all over me.  One, a stoner retard, no showed this weekend, making this day number 8 I've worked straight. (I'm on call every weekend, but this weekend I actually had to run a store too).  The other is an apathetic retard.

Then I realized all of the problems I've had with them point back to me being a crappy manager.  I've overlooked things I shouldn't.  I've laughed at their stupidity instead of just firing them.  Bad stuff.

I don't feel like having a pity party.  So instead I'll give myself some real goals and give tomorrow a whole new slant.

Goal number one, I will wake up and shower BEFORE my morning conference call, not after.  Every day, not just when the boss is in town.

Goal number two, I will divide up that paper work in my office by stores/locations that created it.

Goal number three, I will take a stack and bring it to that store.  I need more face time with these guys anyway.  This will allow me to research things on site with the folks who probably caused the work anyway.  I will work my way through those stacks by month's end.

Goal number four, I will hold people accountable like I'm held accountable.  If this means write ups, so be it.  If this means confronting some of my long standing problems/nemesis even better. 

I will not be a door mat any more.  Things will change or I'll find someone who will do it my/our way!

I will do this before "pushed to my limit" becomes "pushed out the door!"

2 comments:

  1. How's that morning shower thing going? Does it include brushing your teeth? Getting dressed?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meh, I've started 2, 3 and 4. That morning shower is still coming after the 8 am conference call. And yes, brushing of teeth and dressing are involved (before and after, respectively).

    I'm lucky I don't have a trucker's voice on the call each morning because there are many days, especially the first few weeks after our second kid was born, that I'm out of bed 30 seconds before I dial in.

    ReplyDelete