Monday, August 2, 2010

Funny Lady - Kristen Wiig

We just finished watching Whip It.  And before you start mocking me...because I know you will...I live in Austin, TX.  The ATX is an eclectic little place in our great country where the TXRD (Texas Roller Derby) has found a glorious life.  I love the bouts.  If we didn't have little bitty kiddos, my wife and I would probably still attend with frequency.  And yes, for the record, I actually enjoyed the movie.

For those of you who don't know what Roller Derby is all about...follow the link to have your senses jarred and life fulfilled.  (OK, so maybe I'm hyping it up a bit, sue me...you won't be the first to try).  Seriously H-O-T, hot!  I'll try to keep the valley girl in check henceforth
Austin's Hellcats

Kristen Wiig plays Maggie Mayhem in the film.  My favorite scene in it comes from her when she's giving advice to Ellen Page's character about getting into the game.  She's yammering on about getting crabs from her ex and having to use the "special shampoo."

- You know what I like to think about before every game? 
My ex. 
A little piece of advice, Bliss: 
don’t fall for your regional manager and think that he’s not going to give you crabs 
because he cheated on you…’cause it happens. 
And when I think about myself in the shower, using that special shampoo, 
which, for the record, doesn’t make anyone feel very special at all, 
I really, really, wanna hit somebody. 
You have to find that thing that really pisses you off and use it.
 *
I know I'm a little twisted.  
*
Before you think I'm totally smitten for her, know I do have my limits.  Kristen's SNL characters really irritate me.  Gilly makes me want to scratch my eyes out.  The Target Lady needs to die.  And so help me, MacGruber should have been left on the table....do you hear me Lorne Michaels? Shame on you Kristen for stooping to that level.  

But playing random side characters in movies she's always hilarious.  Being Double Married to Dewey Cox in Walk Hard..."I do believe in you, I just know you're going to fail!"  Priceless.  Even in subtler roles like Adventureland where she plays just an all out retard of a woman, she made me laugh.  Telling Ricky Gervais he "Died...a little bit.  But we brought you back.  People die all the time!" in Ghosttown.  Best freakin' scene!  

As Jill in Knocked Up though...seriously THE best character in the film.  Every interaction with Katherine Heigl was scathingly cruel and I loved it.  "Oh, no, we're not asking you to lose weight. That would be illegal. I might say tighter.  Toned and smaller.  We just want you to be healthy, by eating less. So go home, weigh yourself on a scale, write than down. Then subtract 20 from that number. And weigh that."   Oh and of course her being entirely grossed out by pregnancy...I reminded my wife of it daily til she gave birth. (No, not really, just occasionally.  Seriously, would I still be here otherwise?)
So what I guess I'm trying to say is...Have a laugh, find someone you can share it with.  Me, I like to do it with my wife while watching Kristen Wiig.  You totally went there didn't you?  Sicko.

3 comments:

  1. I think she is so pretty :) I loved her in Extract. Hilarious movie and Ben Affleck was adorable in it too :) Enjoyed your post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read an interview with her where she admitted to NOT being the life of the party when she's not on stage. But she also said that she just has the ability to read a script and instinctively know how to make the character funny. She can be slapstick or subtle. I like her, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Annah! I forgot she was the philandering wife in Extract, so funny! Thanks for stopping by.

    SG, you know, I seriously doubt she has a hard time livening up a room, but I guess humility in an interview is probably the better choice.

    ReplyDelete