Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Betty White is a Whore

Betty White is one of the greatest personalities my generation latched on to that frankly is flabbergasting when you take a step back and actually think about it.  I found her on the Golden Girls.  I'm sure I saw some during the current run of the series but I guarantee like most of her current fans, I watched reruns of it in college.  She's done many really funny roles in movies but my favorite still is her in Lake Placid as she's enticing the alligator to eat the sheriff.  So the day before Mother's Day she (and Lorne) answered the pleas of many a Facebook fan and had her host Saturday Night Live. 

I loved the show.  I loved every awkward moment where she didn't really seem to keep up with the rest of the cast or just looked to sweet to be saying/doing the things she plainly was.  It was a night where the writers pulled no punches and I really appreciated it.  If you missed it, Mashable has compiled the best for you.

So enough praise for the ever enjoyable Betty White.  The title of this post was purely for shock and has nothing to do with anything besides my showing her the respect she so rightfully deserves. 

What did suck about the episode was that my non-plasma/HD, standard format TV cut out everyone on the left and right side of the screen.  So when the female alums of SNL were doing their plug for their part in the episode, Ana Gasteyer was completely cut from frame.  Where I believe heads should have rolled is during one of my favorite Weekend Updates of the season.  Maya Rudolph was freaking hilarious.  But I was really excited (yes I'm a loser for getting excited about SNL at age 30, well any age for that matter, but hey I am writing an entire blog post about it so screw off) that Amy Poehler and Tina Fey were back on board. 

When they brought Tina out to join Amy and Seth, well frankly, Tina should have shot a camera man that night. 
Here's what I saw:
 Really!?!

2 comments:

  1. Oh no. SNL long ago converted to 16x9 ratio (widescreen) like most primetime shows. When shows do this, the stations have the option of displaying the program "letterboxed" (with black bars at the top and bottom) for their non-HD broadcasts. This looked great on my TV, definitely not the cameraman's or director's fault.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So basically you're saying it's my fault for not catching up with the 21st century? Somehow I still feel a pout coming on.

    ReplyDelete