Wednesday, April 21, 2010

The Sitter Jacked Up My Baby

The past 3 weeks we've been dealing with a stint of lactose intolerance from our 18-month-old daughter.  First, let me tell you...every website sucks in regards to self evaluation of symptoms.  I think they are all afraid of parents suing them for providing accurate info that whack-job-parents misinterpret and possibly kill their kid.  I'm not one of those parents...alas, I know I'm in the minority. 

Because most websites are non-committal, so we just have to read between the lines.  We cut out Milk (been drinking it three-four times daily since she was a year old - breast fed prior) altogether for a full 10 days.  She had really bad diarrhea so we were just giving her Pedialite to compensate.  We re introduced milk and got disastrous results.  So another few days went by and I decided to introduce yogurt and cheese back in.  No reaction aside from occasional diaper rash.  Monday we decided to buy some milk and try it out again.  She's had a rash, but no explodey poo...happiness for my wife. 

What does this have to do with the baby sitter you ask?  Well, first off, she's not our sitter.  We helped a friend whose stay-at-home-husband was out of town for a few weeks by watching her son three days a week for a month.  In return...cause friends don't charge for sitting...she agreed to watch our daughter while we attended Bradley Birth Classes on Monday's for twelve weeks for our second child.  They definitely got more coverage than we have...especially given that we've only gotten 3 or 4 out of the last 7 weeks covered. 

When she watches her, she sucks at changing her diaper regularly...hello, I know they are cloth and therefore don't hold as much, but you have a kid the same freaking age!!!  But that still has nothing to do with the heart of the matter.

She feeds the kids berries and non-meat-chicken-nuggets (I actually approve of these...after all I gave her the idea).  The problem is one week, Berlin ate nothing but berries.  I think they were organic, which means she may not have washed them...people seem to think farmers don't use chemicals or pesticides when it's labeled organic...they just use "eco-friendly products," but they are still chemicals!!!!  That week is when it began.  I'm taking a very simplistic if-this-then-that approach to this.  17 months of no problems...sudden change in routine and blam! I've got my suspect!

OK, so maybe it's not the babysitter's fault and it's just a phase she's going through.  That doesn't fix the problem nor does it make me pocket my accusing pointer finger!  The past three weeks of hell have been baby sitter free because of an out of town meeting, a canceled class and a sick babysitter's baby.  We'll see what this Monday brings.  My hope is no more debilitating ailments. 

The idea that this is permanent is horrifying...not only for the interim hell of my beautiful daughter begging me for milk and having to reject her pleas...but what if the rest of her life she doesn't get to enjoy ice cream, yogurt, milk, sour cream, cheese, etc!  I'm not prepared for that damnation.  Soy milk has been ruled out by recent bad press...that leaves Rice or Almond Milk...G.R.O.S.S.!  We'll continue to introduce milk in small quantities in hopes of clearing this.  DAMN YOU DAIRY FOR BEING SO TASTY!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment