Monday, April 19, 2010

April 19th

I grew up in Tulsa, Oklahoma and now live in Austin, Texas.  Each are very close to the following two incidents.

I remember the Waco incident very vividly.  The raid ended on April 19, 1993.  I was young and my parents and many of my family members were going through an interested-in-militias stage.  I hated this.  My whole family is very non committal, so I wasn't worried about being the next Ruby Ridge or anything, but it made me very uncomfortable nonetheless.   The conspiracy theories and pamphlets eventually disappeared.  I am happy to say that while they are all still very republican and therefore anti-big-government, they are all normal functioning adults in the world. 

Two years later on April 19, 1995, Timothy McVeigh blew up a federal building in Oklahoma City in protest against the event.  He killed a lot of people, kids included.  We were about to take a test in Mr. Maule's freshman science class.  The Sophomores were dissecting fetal pigs that week so the lab tables had the carcasses in the back of the room.  The formaldehyde smell was overwhelming.   We cut through the "chemical den" between that block of science classes into another teacher's room.  It was his off hour so we had an empty classroom to fill.

On the TV in that class was the news about the bombing.  It took a couple minutes for it to spread through the whole class what we were watching.  It took even longer for what we were watching to sink in.  None of us could wrap our minds around the fact that this was in OKC, let alone in America!  This kind of crap happens in the Middle East or Africa, not here at home!  When we found out it was an American who did it, the whole thing was even worse.

I'm not going to go into any analysis of the ins and outs of these two incidents.  I just wanted to share my small experience with them and to honor those lost 15 years ago at the Murrah Building.

No comments:

Post a Comment