Wednesday, February 24, 2010

The Dead Speak Through Social Networks

A friend of mine lost a friend recently. I don't know the details, I just know she past away. A few days after she died, he posted that Facebook recommended he send her a note. OK, so FB posts "suggestions" on your home page for you to keep in touch with people who don't use it often or people you haven't "interacted with recently." It's just a creepy thought that a dead person needs you to keep in touch!
My Best Man at my wedding past away a couple years ago. I never found out who it was, but someone kept his Myspace page alive LOOONG after he was dead. This was really creepy. He would have new pictures post or notices sent. One of our friends lashed out at who ever was controlling it. She basically told them how hurtful it was to have notes sent from someone you are trying to overcome the grieving process for.

I think it is inconsiderate to friends and family to just delete their profile, but on the other hand the constant reminder of their absence is distressing. What is the acceptable time frame to remove their pages?

No comments:

Post a Comment