Thursday, January 21, 2010

What's in my Water?

Got an email forward that claimed :

"In a number of carefully controlled trials, scientists have demonstrated that if we drink 1 liter of water each day, at the end of the year we would have absorbed more than 1 kilo of Escherichia coli, (E. coli) - bacteria found in feces. In other words, we are consuming 1 kilo of poop."

OK, seriously, I don't believe even 10% of what I see in an email even if they claim snopes.com checked it out. But if there is some truth here....friggin' eww!
We have a water dispenser in our house and two 5 gallon containers that I refill at the Glacier dispenser every week. I don't want to think about bacteria growing on those containers if that is a possibility. But because I hate how bad for the environment regular bottled water is, I think this is a healthy compromise.

I will drink tap water if I have to, I'm not a total freak about it, but prefer filtered or bottled. Austin has problems at the end of dry summers with a horrific algae bloom on our reservoir. The water is undrinkable and any restaurant that uses tap in their sauces and what not are no longer places I visit. Fire Bowl Cafe is one of them, the awesome Vermicelli Singapore was forever ruined when I consumed the algae tainted funk!

I'm curious about what is actually in the Glacier water or the bottled/filtered water versus the horrors lurking in the tap. I'll probably get distracted searching for this answer and never really discover anything, but it does make me want to stick to beer, wine and tequila from now on! Cheers! contaminants

No comments:

Post a Comment