Saturday, January 30, 2010

Groundhog's Day is Almost Here!

My mother-in-law has semi-obsessed about going to Punxsutawney, PA to see Phil, the groundhog come out of his hole at Gobbler's Knob since I've known her. That said, probably since the movie came out in the 90's.
Last year on Groundhog's Day, my wife looked up the town and the ceremony. We booked the hotel the cast and crew stayed in while filming the movie the next day.

So, here I am sitting in Pittsburgh, PA three days away from Phil's big day! We flew up on Friday and spent today visiting my family in Central PA, showing off the kiddo and my wife, whom they've all never met in person.

I learned so much about my family's history today. Johnstown where my mom's mother's side of the family hails from is full of loads of interesting history. From the World's Steepest Vehicular Incline Plane to the 3 major out of dozens of floods to the valley. A town called Berlin (yes, my daughters name) is home to the Whiskey Rebellion during our nations early days is right around the corner. Just south of Johnstown is the site of the 9-11 Flight 93 crash and the Quecreek Mine Rescue from a few years ago. We'll be visiting all of this in the morning, and I can't wait.

This is an utterly silly trip, but getting to visit with the elders of my tribe and seeing some of America's history and traditions first hand will go down as one of my favorite vacations! I will want to come back and visit the Eastern Side of PA where the earliest days of the United States began along with the Pennsylvania Dutch country, where my ancestors had roots. Who knew this state had so much going on?

No comments:

Post a Comment