Monday, October 19, 2009

Respect My Authoritah

Fox News is the republican party's news source. I don't care how they try to spin it, that is the whole point of the station. I remember watching CNN and Headline News growing up. When my mom's siblings were over in Iraq during Desert Shield and subsequently Desert Storm we watched Wolf Blitzer religiously. Ted Turner's 24 hour television news stations were a hit. Even though Ted and in CNN/HLN's prime his wife Jane are over the top Liberals, the stations seemed to just deliver the news. I never noticed a slant.

I remember watching MSNBC when I graduated High School in the late 90's and didn't notice anything overtly left, I just thought it was odd that Bill Gates and NBC were close enough to form a whole other news station. I still tended to watch CNN.

I did notice during the last Presidential campaign MSNBC no longer delivered the news but campaigned directly for Obama. Now in their defense, all non-Fox-News stations were excessively anti-Bush, so it was not so far fetched that they'd support a democrat for President. It did border the ridiculous after Obama won.

By that point I'd been reading Canadian and British news sources regularly and left the political bias to Fox and MSNBC.

So all that builds up to the latest Fox Scandal...from the White House. So here is what I've understood: The Obama Administration has decided not to do any interviews with Fox News as they are "Not a News Source" they are merely a greedy corporation feeding on the republican craze and marketing to a segment of America they can make a lot of money from.

Are they kidding? I could understand if they chose not to give an interview to the Onion, the Daily Show or Colbert Report. But to call out an opposing point of view and say you're not credible because I get unfavorable coverage on your station is pathetic. Seriously, if they really view Fox as a threat, take the high road or better, come on prepared to demonstrate your position articulately. All political points of view are opinions and differing opinions are still valid in their own right.

I don't fit into any one party completely. I don't understand people who do. It's like believing a religious denomination wholly without question. If you don't have independent thought and differing opinions and unique lifestyles we might as well have a dictatorship. The mindless lemmings of this country truly scare me. I don't know how much longer we're going to survive when we have a "two party" system who refuse to accomplish anything for fear of offending some segment of their voting constituency.

No comments:

Post a Comment